Student life @the University of Georgia
The university has registered nearly 700 student organizations, cultural groups, intramural sport teams, religious groups, volunteer and community service programs and philanthropic groups run by both graduate and undergraduate students. Student organizations include Democratic Party and Republican Party student groups, Arch Society, student philanthropies such as UGA Heros, UGA Habitat for Humanity, UGA Miracle and UGA Relay for Life. In 2013, UGA was recognized by the President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll by the Corporation for National and Community Service. The honor is the highest federal recognition a college or university can receive for its commitment to volunteering, service-learning and civic engagement. The 2013 designation marked the 7th consecutive year UGA was named on the honor roll.
The university maintains one of the South's oldest Greek systems, and the fraternity and sororities maintain homes both on and off campus. There are a number secret societies that exist at the university, such as Palladia and Gridiron. A group unique to UGA is the men's secret society known as the Order of the Greek Horsemen which annually inducts five fraternity men, all leaders of the Greek system. Its purpose and function remains a closely guarded secret. The Panhellenic sororities also have a secret society known as Trust of the Pearl, which inducts five accomplished sorority women each spring.
The first Greek letter fraternity to charter at the university was Sigma Alpha Epsilon in 1865, and the first sorority was Phi Mu in 1921. There are 17 sororities from the Panhellenic Council, 26 North-American Interfraternity Conference fraternities, and 8 National Pan-Hellenic Councilfraternities and sororities. Students with Greek affiliation made up 23 percent of the undergraduate student body as of 2007, including 21% of the males and 24% of the females.
In the fall semester of 1997, six women started an Asian interest sorority, Alpha Sigma Rho, which would become the first in the state of Georgia and the first in the nation. In 2000, Georgia Tech followed suit with the establishment of a chapter of Alpha Sigma Rho.
In 2005 the university announced that five fraternities on Lumpkin Street would have to be relocated by June 2008. The school plans to build academic buildings on the house sites, which the university owns and the fraternities lease. UGA offered to relocate the Lumpkin fraternities and two others to River Road (a former site of several fraternities who were moved out in the 1990s), located on East Campus. Kappa Alpha Order and Chi Phi did not take up the offer and decided to move off campus. Kappa Alpha Order moved to Hancock Street while Chi Phi built a house on Milledge Avenue. In October 2008, Pi Kappa Alpha, Phi Delta Theta, Tau Epsilon Phi and Sigma Nu broke ground for the new Greek Park located on River Road. The four new houses were completed in August 2009 for fall rush. Sigma Chi, having signed a renewable 40-year land lease with the University in 1996, continued to maintain their house next to the Zell B. Miller Learning Center. However, in fall of 2012, Sigma Chi's housing lease was up for negotiation with UGA administration. The fraternity's property was to be relocated off-campus to accommodate new academic buildings for the Terry College of Business. Construction of the new Business Learning Center began its planning phase in early 2013, ground was broken in December 2013, and its first phase was completed in July 2015. Construction for the third and final phase of the Business Learning Center is set to begin 2017 and complete in 2019.
Housing at the university is managed by the Department of University Housing. On campus housing for undergraduate students is divided into seven communities, and for graduate students into three communities.
Reserve Officer Training Corps
The University of Georgia Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) is the official officer training and commissioning program at the university. Founded in 1801, it is one of the oldest such programs in the nation.
The UGA ROTC "Bulldog Battalion" (Army) and UGA AFROTC "Flying Bulldogs" (Air Force) offers commissions for the United States Army into active duty service, the Army Reserves, or the Army National Guard; as well as into the United States Air Force. The battalion is one of the oldest in the U.S. Memorial Hall was built with funds which Georgia alumni raised following World War I and was dedicated in 1924 to those who had given their lives the war.
The Reserve Officer Training Corps offers training in the military sciences to students who desire to perform military service after they graduate. The Departments of the Army, and the Air Force each maintain an ROTC detachment on campus and each individual department has a full staff of military personnel.
Student Government Association
University of Georgia's Student Government Association (SGA) serves the campus community by addressing student concerns, promoting understanding within the college community, and administering all matters which are delegated to the student government by the university President. SGA executives make up the Student Advisory Council which is composed of Student Government Presidents from every public college or university within the University System of Georgia. The Student Advisory Council is organized to advise the Georgia Board of Regents, through the Chancellor, on issues that are important to students. The Student Government Association also offers leadership programs for entering freshman. These programs include the Freshman Forum, Freshman Focus and Freshman Board.
WGTA is a non-commercial educational public television station having Toccoa, Georgia as its city of license. It serves several counties in northeast Georgia which are part of the Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson, South Carolina and Asheville, North Carolina television market. The signal can also be seen in the extreme east-northeastern portions of the metro Atlanta media market, including Athens, Gainesville and Braselton. The station transmits its digital signal on UHF TV channel 24, and uses virtual channel 32.1. It is owned and operated by the University of Georgia.
The station broadcasts PBS World programming from Georgia Public Broadcasting, as well as local programming. Despite being in the Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville market, WGTA is available only on Dish Network and not available on the Upstate DirecTV feed. On cable, it is only available outside Georgia on Northland Communications' systems in Pickens and Oconee counties in South Carolina. At the beginning of October 2012, the station became available to DirecTV viewers in and around metro Atlanta.
WUGA-FM Radio WUGA-FM is the radio station run by the University of Georgia. Just before 6:00 a.m. on the morning of August 28, 1987, WUGA-FM signed on for its first day of broadcasting to Athens and the surrounding area. WUGA-FM broadcasts with 6000 watts in an "omni-directional pattern." WUGA-FM radio is the third most listened to station in Athens market out of 18 stations reported. It is the most listened to station for people with managerial, administrative or professional occupations.
The Red & Black
The Red and Black (R&B) is UGA's is an independent daily newspaper. Established in 1893 and independent of the university since 1980, The Red & Black is the largest college newspaper in Georgia and the 10th largest newspaper in the state of Georgia. Students published its first issue in tabloid format on November 24, 1893, from offices in the Academic Building on North Campus. Since then, the newspaper has grown to be widely read.
It is operationally and financially independent from the university. The paper receives no student activity fees or other funding from UGA. The paper is self-sufficient through the sale of advertising making it one of the few student newspapers to do so.
The newspaper has won numerous awards nationally. In 2012, the Princeton Review named The Red & Black 10th among the nation's best student newspapers.
It has a photos and videos division dubbed R&B-TV. R&B-TV publishes various videos relating to the University of Georgia and the community at large.
Ampersand Magazine Launched in 2011, Ampersand Magazine is a UGA monthly publication catered to Athens residents. The magazine is a subsidized by The Red and Black.
Pre-Med Magazine at UGA PreMed Magazine is a student organization that aims to help pre-medical students at the University of Georgia achieve success in the medical field. This club is open for students of all majors and concentrations. Topics range from student achievement in medicine and health science to recent innovations in biomedical sciences.
Georgia's original colors included old gold, until the intense rivalry between Georgia Tech and Georgia around 1891 resulted in a skirmish over colors. Georgia students and alumni declared yellow an unfit color for the Georgia Bulldogs, deeming it a cowardly color. After the 1893 football game against Georgia Tech, University of Georgia President, Dr. Charles Herty, removed old gold as an official school color. Crimson (also referred to as Good old Georgia Red) and black have been the official colors ever since.
The decision to include crimson red is also thought to be a tribute to the state of Georgia and a reminder of the University's flagship status. Kaolinite, commonly referred to as "Georgia red clay" is commonly found throughout the state, especially in the Red Hills Region. The red color that is so evident in Georgia soils is due primarily to iron oxides.
The origin of the English Bulldog representing UGA, came from Yale University, with whom UGA had strong ties in its early years. Many early buildings and campus plans followed the layout of Yale. The bulldog mascot stems from University's founding father and first president, Abraham Baldwin, who was a graduate of Yale. The Bulldogs were thought to be a tribute to Baldwin's alma mater. The term "Georgia Bulldogs" was first coined on November 3, 1920 by Atlanta Journal Constitution writer Morgan Blake. After a 0-0 tie with University of Virginia in Charlottesville on Nov. 6, 1920, Atlanta Journal Constitution writer Cliff Wheatley used the name "Bulldogs" in his story five times. The name caught on and has been used ever since.
Uga the Bulldog is the official live mascot of the Georgia Bulldogs. Uga is from a line owned by Frank W. (Sonny) Seiler of Savannah, Georgia since 1956. The current line began with Uga I, a solid white English Bulldog who was the grandson of a former Georgia mascot who made the trip to the 1943 Rose Bowl. Perhaps the most famous Uga was Uga V who made appearances in the movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Uga V was also featured on the cover of the April 1997 edition of Sports Illustrated.
The Chapel Bell
The Chapel Bell is a historic monument and long-standing tradition of the University of Georgia. The Chapel Bell is located on the historic North Campus. Built in 1832, when Protestant orthodoxy dominated the campus region, the Chapel was a center of campus activities. A daily religious service, which students were required to attend, were held there, as were assemblies and commencements. The bell was also rung to mark the beginning and the end of class.
Over the years, the Chapel Bell has served as an athletic tradition at the University of Georgia. The ringing of the Chapel Bell after a Georgia victory is a tradition that has endured since the 1890s. In Georgia football's early days, the playing field was located only yards from the chapel, and first-year students were compelled to ring the bell until midnight in celebration of a Bulldog victory. Today, students, alumni, fans and townspeople still rush to the Chapel to ring the bell after a victory. The bell is also utilized for University meetings and events, weddings and remembrance ringing. The bell was rung in memory of victims of the September 11th attacks in 2001. After the 2012 Sandy Hook shooting, the University of Georgia partook in a nationwide mourning by ringing the Chapel Bell in honor of the victims of the shooting.
On Oct. 27, 2007, as tradition warrants, Georgia fans rang the Chapel Bell to celebrate the 42-30 win over archrival, the Florida Gators. The excitement caused the yoke holding the 877 lb. bell to give way, and it fell from the support platform. UGA Physical Plant has returned the bell to its historic post.
January 27, 1785 marked the chartering of the University of Georgia. January 27 is commemorated each year to honor UGA's place in the history of American colleges and universities. The tradition began in 2002 and is now celebrated as Founders Week. During Founders Week, a series of celebrations are hosted by various campus departments including the Student Alumni Association and the Student Government Association.
The Emeriti Scholars, a group of retired faculty members especially known for their teaching abilities and continued involvement in the university's academic life, sponsor the Founders Day Lecture. The lecture is held in the UGA Chapel and has become a Founders Day tradition, drawing alumni, students, faculty, esteemed guests and members of the community.
The Georgia Arch
The historic Georgia Arch which sits on the edge of North campus was installed in 1864. It serves as the official icon and a historic landmark for the University. Since the 1900s, tradition has held that students may not pass beneath the Arch until they have received a diploma from the University of Georgia. Those who walked under the Arch prior to graduation commencement were to said to never graduate. The tradition began when Daniel Huntley Redfearn, Class of 1910, arrived as a freshman from Boston, Georgia and vowed not to pass beneath the Arch until he had graduated. One of Redfearn's professors heard the vow and repeated it to his class, and the tradition has stood ever since. Many freshmen, learning of the tradition during orientation or from other sources still choose to honor the century-old tradition. Years of following the tradition are visible on the concrete steps leading to the Arch. Steps to each side have been worn down over the years as undergraduates have kept their vows.
The Arch has been a site of historic political demonstrations. In 1961, when UGA officials desegregated the University with the admission of its first two African-American students, Hamilton Holmes and Charlayne Hunter-Gault. The Arch was a witness to students protesting both for and against segregation in the protesting the Persian Gulf War and a demonstration following the 1970 shootings at Kent State University. In 2001, along with the Chapel Bell, the Georgia Arch was the site of a memorial to the victims of the September 11 attacks.
The fight song and Alma Mater
"Glory, Glory" is the rally song for the Georgia Bulldogs. "Glory, Glory" is sung to the tune of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic". It was sung at games as early as the 1890s, but arranged in its present form by Georgia's musician-composer Hugh Hodgson in 1915. There have been many Bulldog songs through the years and at least two collections dating back to 1909 have been published, but "Glory, Glory" has been the most accepted among students and alumni. The only known original reference to the piece is in a history of the Redcoat Band written in 1962, which briefly mentions the march as "Georgia's first original school song" and notes that "all copies of the work have been lost." The document is kept in the university's Hargrett Library for rare and historic documents.
Although "Glory, Glory" is generally thought to be the school's fight song, the official fight song is "Hail to Georgia". The fight song is played by the Georgia Redcoat Marching Band after touchdowns, field goals, and extra points scored by the football team. The Georgia Redcoat Marching Band is a 375-member marching band. First directed in 1905 by R.E. Haughey, the band has only had seven directors.
The "Alma Mater" is the official school song of the University of Georgia. The "Alma Mater" was created by two students at Cornell University around 1870. The melody was taken from a melancholy ballad, "Annie Lisle", written by Boston musician H. S. Thompson in the late 1850s. Since its founding, the Cornell melody has been used by many colleges and universities including University of Georgia, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, Indiana University and the University of Missouri. The song is sung at commencement and various official events of the University of Georgia.
Lyrics to the Alma Mater
From the hills of Georgia's northland
Beams thy noble brow,
And the sons of Georgia rising
Pledge with sacred vow.
'Neath the pine tree's stately shadow
Spread thy riches rare,
And thy sons, dear Alma Mater,
Will thy treasure share.
And thy daughters proudly join thee,
Take their rightful place,
Side by side into the future,
Equal dreams embrace.
Through the ages, Alma Mater,
The people will look to thee;
Thou the fairest of the world,
Alma Mater, thee we'll honor,
True and loyal be,
Ever crowned with praise and glory,
Georgia, hail to thee.
Playing "Between the Hedges" and Sanford Stadium
Sanford Stadium is the on-campus playing venue for football at the University of Georgia in Athens. The 92,746-seat stadium is the seventh largest stadium in the National Collegiate Athletic Association. The stadium is the 8th largest non-racing stadium in the United States and the 14th largest such stadium in the world. The stadium played host to the Olympic medal competition of men's and women's Olympic football (soccer) at the 1996 Summer Olympics.
University of Georgia playing "Between the Hedges" is a reference to Sanford Stadium that dates back to the early 1930s. The famous Chinese privet hedges that surround Sanford's playing field were only one foot high when the stadium was dedicated in 1929 and were protected by a wooden fence. Sports writers, referring to an upcoming home game, were said to observe "that the Bulldogs will have their opponent "between the hedges." The phrase was coined by the Atlanta sportswriter Grantland Rice. Games played there are said to be played "Between the Hedges" due to the privet hedges, which had stood around the field since 1929, but removed in the summer of 1996; new, albeit considerably shorter, hedges were restored in the fall of 1996. The hedges have been dubbed Hedges II by UGA fans.
The "Dawg Walk"
The Dawg Walk is a Saturday football tradition and celebration at University of Georgia home games when UGA students and fans line up in the Tate Center parking lot to form a tunnel that greets the players and coaches as they enter Sanford Stadium. The team enters the stadium through Gate 10 at Sanford Stadium to the music of the Redcoat Marching Band. The march is often led by the team's costumed mascot Hairy Dawg.
The Dawg Walk is preceded by two show section shows. The Redcoat Sousaphones perform a warm up concert in the Tate Center assembly area, while the Redcoat Drumline performs a drumshow in the parking lot.