History of Zhejiang University
The main root of the current Zhejiang University, Qiushi Academy, was founded in 1897 and was one of the earliest modern academies of higher education in China. Since 1901 Qiushi Academy had its name changed several times, and even was once suspended. In 1927, on the historic site of the academy, the Third Natinal Sun Yat-sen University was established.On April 1, 1928, it was renamed Zhejiang University. Since July 1, 1928, it had been known as National Zhejiang University with three schools, namely School of Engineering, School of Agriculture and School of Liberal Arts and Science.
Since the outbreak of the War of Resistance Against Japan, Zhejiang University was forced to move to Guizhou. Under the guidance of President Chu Kochen, the famous meteorologist, geologist and educator, Zhejiang University went all the way through difficulties and adversities to establish itself as one of the leading universities in China. It was even honored as “Oriental Cambridge” by famous British scholar Joseph Needham. In 1946 Zhejiang University moved back to Hangzhou. In two years’ time, it has become a comprehensive university with 7 schools, 25 departments, 9 research institutes and 1 research center covering Liberal Arts, Science, Engineering, Agriculture, Normal Education, Law, Medicine and so on.
In 1952, universities in China underwent a nationwide reshuffling due to which the disciplines and institutes of Zhejiang University were restructured and dissociated. Some institutes were upgraded to become colleges or universities and some merged with other universities such as Hangchow University and Zhejiang Provincial College of Medicine. Part of the School of Liberal Arts and School of Science merged withSchool of Liberal Arts and Science of Hangchow University and Zhejiang Education College to form Zhejiang Teacher’s College. In 1958 it was merged to the newly founded Hangzhou Unversity. The School of Agriculture was separated to form Zhejiang College of Agriculture, renamed as Zhejiang Agricultural University in 1960. The School of Medicine was merged to Zhejiang Provincial College of Medicine to form Zhejiang Medical College which was later renamed Zhejiang Medical University. After the readjustment and restructuring, Zhejiang University became a multidisciplinary polytechnical university.
The four universities with the same ancestor, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou University, Zhejiang Agricultural University and Zhejiang Medical University, all attained considerable acheivements. Zhejiang University became a key national university covering a wide range of disciplines with focuses on engineering. The other three universities, with enormous potential and distinct features, also thrived in respective disciplines. These four universities made remarkable contributions to the development of Zhejiang Province and the whole nation.
With the approval of the State Council, on Sep. 15 1998, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou University, Zhejiang Agricultural University and Zhejang Medical University amalgamated into the new Zhejiang University. The new Zhejiang University is oriented toward a comprehensive university with extensive academic capacity and cutting-edge competitiveness, and its founding has been a significant move in the reform and development of China's higher education. Now Zhejiang University is under the direct administration of China's Ministry of Education, with joint support from both the Ministry of Education and Zhejiang Provincial Government.