University of Edinburgh logo
  • Tuition Fee:
  • Local: $ 5.16k / Year
  • Foreign: $ 5.16k / Year
  • Languages of instruction:
  • English
  • Deadline:
  • 22 八月 2016

    Photos of university

    The fields of science communication and public engagement are currently enjoying unprecedented growth. This is being driven by a greater need to demonstrate the impact of publicly funded research, the need for science to be valued, increased government scrutiny and a desire for a stronger evidence base for policy decisions. Many career opportunities are emerging at the interface between scientific research and various public groups.

    This part-time online distance learning programme offers flexible study in this field.

    You will experience a variety of science communication and public engagement methodologies and issues. In the process, you will develop critical thinking and self-evaluation skills through reflective practice. Your learning in individual courses is transferable to other courses ensuring interconnection across the programme, thus providing opportunities for deeper learning and for the application of key principles in different contexts.

    Online learning

    Our online learning technology is fully interactive, award-winning and enables you to communicate with our highly qualified teaching staff from the comfort of your own home or workplace.

    Our online students not only have access to Edinburgh’s excellent resources, but also become part of a supportive online community, bringing together students and tutors from around the world.

    Career opportunities

    To address the need for effective science communication and public engagement with science, there has been a significant rise in opportunities available for professionals with the specialist knowledge, skills and attributes necessary to pursue roles at the interface between scientific research and publics.

    These roles can be found in, for example, Higher Education Institutions, Research Centres, Museums, Science Centres, Learned Societies and consultancies for democratic decision-making. Examples of specific roles are engagement managers, information and education officers, policy and knowledge brokers, in addition to the traditional science communicator role.

    Year 1 (Certificate)

    • Introduction to Science Communication and Public Engagement
    • Science and Society A
    • Science and Society B
    • Principles and Practice in Public Engagement with Science
    • Science Education
    • The Role of Social Media in Science Communication

    Year 2 (Diploma)

    • Dialogue for Science Communication and Public Engagement
    • Science, Policy and Practice
    • Science and the Media
    • Effective Exhibit and Programme Development
    • Creative Arts in Science Engagement
    • Science Communication/Public Engagement Placement

    Year 3 (Masters)

    SCPE Critical Analysis/Research Project or SCPE Practical Project

    UK requirements for international applications

    Universities in the United Kingdom use a centralized system of undergraduate application: University and College Admissions Service (UCAS). It is used by both domestic and international students. Students have to register on the UCAS website before applying to the university. They will find all the necessary information about the application process on this website. Some graduate courses also require registration on this website, but in most cases students have to apply directly to the university. Some universities also accept undergraduate application through Common App (the information about it could be found on universities' websites).

    Both undergraduate and graduate students may receive three types of responses from the university. The first one, “unconditional offer” means that you already reached all requirements and may be admitted to the university. The second one, “conditional offer” makes your admission possible if you fulfill some criteria – for example, have good grades on final exams. The third one, “unsuccessful application” means that you, unfortunately, could not be admitted to the university of you choice.

    All universities require personal statement, which should include the reasons to study in the UK and the information about personal and professional goals of the student and a transcript, which includes grades received in high school or in the previous university.


    A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a science-related subject is required. Other qualifications, at honours degree level combined with relevant experience, will also be considered on a case-by-case basis.Where applicable, you will also be required to meet any language requirements in accordance with the University of Edinburgh's regulations.English language requirementsIf English is not your first language, you must have one of the following qualifications as evidence of your spoken and written English.IELTS minimum scoreIELTS Academic module 7.0 (with at least 6.5 in each section)Other accepted tests and scoresTOEFL-iBT 100 (with at least 23 in all sections)PTE(A): 67 (with no score lower than 61 in each (with no score lower than 61 in each of the "Communicative Skills" sections - "Enabling Skills" section scores are not considered)Cambridge CPE Grade B; Cambridge CAE Grade A English Language Requirements IELTS band: 7 CAE score: (read more) Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) is part of the Cambridge English suite and is targeted at a high level (IETLS 6.5-8.0). It is an international English language exam set at the right level for academic and professional success. Developed by Cambridge English Language Assessment - part of the University of Cambridge - it helps you stand out from the crowd as a high achiever. 80 (Grade A) TOEFL iBT® test: 100 IMPORTANT NOTE: Since April 2014 the ETS tests (including TOEFL and TOEIC) are no longer accepted for Tier 4 visa applications to the United Kingdom. The university might still accept these tests to admit you to the university, but if you require a Tier 4 visa to enter the UK and begin your degree programme, these tests will not be sufficient to obtain your Visa. The IELTS test is most widely accepted by universities and is also accepted for Tier 4 visas to the UK- learn more.
    Similar programs: