The doctoral study programme ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES lasts three years and represents the transformation of existent direct doctoral programme, which was offered at the University of Nova Gorica since the academic year 1995/1996. Successfully completed study programme leads to the title Doktor znanosti (equivalent to Doctor of Science). The courses are held in English language.
Educational and professional goals
Protection of the environment demands an explicitly multidisciplinary approach and therefore adequately educated and trained experts are needed in the areas of environmental research, technology, conservation, management and policy development. One of the crucial problems in solving the environment issues is the lack of experts with appropriate multidisciplinary knowledge, who could successfully link together the experts with distinctive knowledge in natural and technical sciences on one side and the managers, lawyers and similar professionals on the other side.
Therefore similar study programmes on undergraduate and also on graduate level are common worldwide. For this reason the main objective of this study programme is education of top experts with the multidisciplinary knowledge in the fields of environmental sciences.
The study programme consists of the compulsory seminar, which introduces the student into the area of his specialization, elective courses on atmospheric, aquatic or soil science, and elaboration of doctoral thesis. The thesis is tightly linked to intensive and high quality research during which various environmental phenomena and concrete problems can be investigated.
The main focus is on topics such as the development and improvement of technologies for reduction of environmental pollution, the development and application of new technologies and methods for detection and monitoring of pollutants in the environment, ecotoxicology, renewable energy and other resources, and sustainable development.
Compulsory courses / Ure /ECTS
* Research work I 900 / 30
* Trends in Environment Sciences 900 / 30
Compulsory courses / Ure / ECTS
* Elective contents 900 / 30
* Research work II 900 / 30
Ellective subjects / Ure / ECTS
* Selected Topics in Nature Protection and Biodiversity Conservation 300 / 10
* Selected Topics in Nature Protection and Biodiversity Conservation 1 300 / 10
* Selected topics in Water pollution 300 / 10
* Selected topics in Water pollution 1 300 / 10
* Selected topics in Water pollution 2 300 / 10
* Selected topics in Water pollution 3 300 / 10
* Selected topics in Water pollution 4 300 / 10
* Selected topics in Water pollution 5 300 / 10
* Selected topics in air pollution 300 / 10
* Selected topics in soil pollution300 / 10
Compulsory courses / Ure / ECTS
* Doctoral dissertation 900 / 30
* Research work III 900 / 30
To qualify for entry into the graduate program Environmental Sciences , applicants must satisfy the following admission requirements:
* have completed a 2nd cycle masters study preogramme;
* have completed at least a four-year academic undergraduate programme accredited with 240 ECTScredits;
* have completed a uniform five year masters study programme accredited with 300 ECTS credits;
* have completed a specialization after previously finished professional study programme, and had passed additional study obligations within 30 to 60 ECTS credit points;
* have completed an equivalent program abroad;
If the number of applicants exceeds the 20 available slots, they are selected based on previous academic achievement.
Republiki zavod za zaposlovanje (Slovenias Office for Employment) annually publishes tenders for professional and national scholarships.
Each academic year students can apply for the following scholarships:
Professional scholarships, normally offered by various companies. For the whole of Slovenia the tender for these scholarships is normally published in March in the special editions of the National Office for Employment. Candidates submit their applications directly to the companies offering the scholarships. We would recommend that candidates contact the human resources department of the company offering the scholarship they are interested in, and obtain detailed information on the application dates and documents required for application.
In the first part of the tender are professional scholarships offered by the Government of the Republic of Slovenia for the posts in public administration.
* Professional scholarships Slovene human resources development and Scholarship Fund
The national and ZOIS scholarships
Zois scholarships are state merit scholarships, first established in 1986. The basic guideline of the system was detection of gifted children and promotion of development of their careers so they would achieve the highest level of education and thus providing the society with the best human potential.
Foreign students that would be coming to Slovenia under a special bilateral/multilateral agreement or reciprocity exists between Slovenia and their country of origin in terms of scholarships could be eligible for Zois scholarship provided they meet all general and special conditions and placed high enough in ranking.
* ZOIS scholarships Slovene human resources development and Scholarship Fund
Scholarships offered by various foundations
Scholarships offered by various foundations, which are private or state institutions. The aim of the foundations is to financially support successful candidates, and the criteria for obtaining the scholarships vary from the social, regional to political ones. Some of the foundations include The Foundation of dr Anton Trstenjak, Foundation Ana, Slovene scientific foundation, Educational foundation of Pomurje region, Foundation Ajda at Peasants Society, Student development fund of the Faculty of Economics, etc. The tenders for scholarships are normally published in the newspapers and on the internet.
Slovene Human Resources Development and Schoolarship Fund
The Slovene Human Resources Development and Scholarship Fund conducts various scholarship programs for Slovenes and foreign students coming to Slovenia.
Calls for Application and past Calls for Applications:
* Fulbright Scholarships for the 2012 Year (141. JR)
* Scholarships for citizens of Egypt and Tunisia to study in the Republic of Slovenia (129. JR)
* Scholarships for nationals of Western Balkans to study in Republic of Slovenia (Call for applications No. 138)
* Scholarships for citizens of the Cape Verde Islands to study in the Republic of Slovenia (116. JR)
* Scholarships for doctorate studies of foreign citizens in Slovenia in the year 2011 (113. JR)
* Scholarship for postgraduate studies of citizens of the Republic of Kosovo in the Republic in Slovenia (Call No. 73)
* Further details on